The Ball was conceived by members of the Philadelphia Chapter of the Penn State Alumni Association as a way for alumni to maintain a connection to THON and continue fundraising for Four Diamonds after graduating from Penn State. Since the first Liberty Ball in 2006, the Liberty Ball and the Philadelphia Chapter have raised over $200,000 in the fight against pediatric cancer.
Click on the video to watch the 2017 Liberty Ball family, Erika Garcia and her son Josaiah share their story on how they benefited from donations made to THON that support Four Diamonds at the Hershey Medical Center.
Kayla Nakonechni Knight Award Recipient: 6abc
Three Ways to Help
JOIN ONE OF OUR COMMITTEES
LIBERTY BALL COMMITTEE
- The Liberty Ball Committee is responsible for the preparation and implementation of all aspects of the Liberty Ball and consists of various sub-committees that handle specific areas/tasks for the Ball. The committee meets on a monthly basis. Below are a listing of the sub-committees that aide in the planning of the Ball. For questions about Liberty Ball 2018 or to get involved with the general committee for Liberty Ball 2018, please contact Caitlin Simcox and Lauren Nakonechni.
- The Technology Team is responsible for any IT needs for the events leading up to and including the Ball. This includes web-development, application development, tablet distribution and electronic payment processing the evening of The Liberty Ball. For questions about technology or to join the technology team please contact Santo Fortebuono.
EVENTS AND LOGISTICS SUBCOMMITTEE
- The Events team is responsible for the planning of pre-Liberty Ball fundraisers and activities that raise money for the operating costs of the Ball while building awareness and excitement about the Ball. Members of this team should be outgoing and possess the ability to generate enthusiasm for unique and creative events. Past events include: Quizzo nights, Penn State Football game watches, THON™ night at the Camden Riversharks, and Dave & Buster’s Spirit night. For questions about events or to get involved with the Events Awards committee, please contact Victoria Maseda. For Events Day Of Logistics or Game Watches committee please contact Caitlin Scroger.
SILENT AUCTION AND RAFFLE SUBCOMMITTEE
- The Silent Auction & Raffle team is responsible for proactively soliciting items from area businesses for the auction and raffle that occur at the Ball. This team keeps account of all items received and organizes them into one of the two categories as applicable. Members of this team would benefit from great networking and sales skills to aide in soliciting businesses to donate. For questions about the silent auction & raffle or to join the silent auction & raffle team contact Brian Levengood.
- The Sponsorship team is responsible for procuring corporate sponsorships for the Ball by reaching out to past contacts as well as developing new relationships with potential sponsors. The sponsorship team is the owner of the sponsor packet which outlines levels of corporate sponsorship along with the levels of each. They will maintain a master listing of all outreach performed, contacts and levels of commitment. For questions about sponsorship or to join the sponsorship team please contact Rachel Greider.
MARKETING AND SALES SUBCOMMITTEE
- The Marketing & Sales team is responsible for building awareness and publicity of the Liberty Ball through traditional and innovate forms of media (i.e. social media, print publications, radio, TV, etc.). This team is the driving force of ticket sales for the Ball and will work closely with the events team and co-chairs to create excitement about the Ball. For questions about marketing & sales or to join the marketing & sales team please contact Lauren Burrell and Rebecca Balchunas.